This trip will be for 14 days, August 3-16, 2019.
In August 2017, I arranged for a group of African American Friends, members of the Fellowship of Friends of African Descent to visit Ghana. The trip went so well I am doing it again for August 2019.
Sankofa is a word and symbol from the Akan tribe in Ghana, which symbolizes how going back to the knowledge of the past can help us move more confidently into the future.
My goal is to provide an opportunity for people of all races to gain insight on how the history’s of Ghana and the United States of America are intertwined. African American history begins on the continent of Africa. African culture has influenced American culture as well as African Americans have influenced Africa. Our schedule includes time to process together what we are learning and seeing for those who wish to do so.
This trip is open to anyone who would like to learn about an Akan empire and kingdom, plus the importance of the Golden Stool. Hear about their struggles with the Europeans Nations that fought to colonize them. Watch as artisans weave the national cloth, Kente, and get a chance to stamp a piece with Adinkra symbols. Visit the Cape Cast and Elmina Castle’s to offer you a window into the history of enslavement in Ghana. In the Kakum National Park follow a hiking trail to the park’s 1,150-foot canopy walkway. See how African American, W.E.B. Du Bois , a leader in the pan-African movement was a major influence on Kwame Nkrumah, Ghana’s first president. Nkrumah led Ghana to break free from Britain’s colonial rule experience his story though a visit to his national memorial tomb and park.
Fee for your time in Ghana:
Includes the following:
- Transportation from KIA (Kotoka International Airport) Accra arrival transfer to hotel and return, departure transfer from hotel to KIA
- Travel to sites in Accra, Cape Coast (Central Region) and Kumasi on air conditioned bus.
- Hotel room costs
- AKWAABA (Welcome) & NANTI YIE (Farewell ) Fiesta Buffet Dinners
- Ghanaian cuisine cooking session for Sunday lunch
- All breakfasts, one lunch and three dinners
- Batik cloth making
- Site entry and tour guide fees
- Single Occupancy is $2,850.00
- Double Occupancy is $2,190.00
- $200.00 Deposit required upon registration
- 50% of remaining balance due April 20, 2019
- second half of balance due July 1, 2019
- No refunds after April 20, 2019